Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Appointment Update

Doug and I met our OB yesterday, Dr. Kelli Beingesser. As Doug said as we left her office, "we obviously have a kick-ass doctor!" I was confident that we would like her--she knows many people we do and--at least I had hoped this--as the the only practice with midwives on staff, I thought we were safely picking a doctor who has a more "progressive" or "natural" philosophy toward childbirth. She actually addressed that issue right away--they do not perform elective inductions and avoid using pitocin in general. Even to the point that the nurses as the hospital where our doctor delivers babies file complaints about "standards of practice" when the doctor simply lets the mom labor as long as she needs to. It seems terribly backwards and even misogynistic to consider inducing labor, epidurals and even perhaps c-sections as "standard practices!" It's as if women didn't have babies until western medicine came along? Not that we should really be blaming western medicine because we all know who rules western medicine--the insurance companies. We have to get to see Michael Moore's new film...I have heard from several people that it is fantastic.

Anyhow...I don't really fear childbirth but the things that do--did--worry me was being pressured into pitocin or even a c-section because my labor was taking more than 6 hours or whatever. I am so relieved that not only will Doug and our doula advocate for me but so will my OB! What a freakin' relief.

And we heard our baby's heartbeat again! It seemed to have slowed down--sounds more like a normal heartbeat. I asked Dr. Beingesser about the wive's tale about the heart rate...slower means boy and faster means girl. She kinda winked and said that we have a 50/50 chance! I still think we are cooking a boy but who really knows...right?

Everything seems to be progressing nicely! I still have not gained any weight! I cannot believe it...my weight fluctuates so much usually! I think it helps that while the morning sickness is gone...I still cannot overeat without feeling ill or getting massive indigestion so perhaps pregnancy will help me develop better habits...don't eat the rest of the filet mignon just because it is on the plate!

And Doug and I are off to Las Vegas tomorrow! We are celebrating 5 years of wedded bliss...and enjoying a little time away while we can. We are going to back to the Luxor--where we spent our first weekend trip away together oh so many years ago...back in 2000. I will be thinking of all you as I sweat and drink mocktails by the pool!!

Peace.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Congrats on your 5 years. Hope you have a blast!!